Over 80% of Americans will experience back pain at some point in their lives. Fortunately, most cases will resolve on their own within 6 weeks. But not all. According to the National Institutes for Health, about 20 percent of people affected by back pain develop chronic and often debilitating symptoms that persist for 12 weeks or longer and limit their daily activities.
Before You Consider Surgery
Surgery is never the first choice for back pain treatment. As a total spine care provider, Inspired Spine will always recommend the least invasive approach that’s appropriate to treat your condition. Our Conservative Treatment Path offers a wide range of non-invasive therapies and pain management services that may relieve your back pain without surgery.
During your initial consultation at Inspired Spine, you should expect to discuss your medical history, current symptoms, and any previous treatments you may have had for your back problems. We will also review any diagnostic images you may already have.
If you have a MRI or CT scan that is less than a year old, you can REQUEST FREE MRI REVIEW
We Treat the Pain, Not the Anatomy
We may perform additional diagnostic procedures to help pinpoint the true cause of your pain. For instance, our advanced upright MRI provides a truer picture of your spine under pressure – when it hurts — than in a prone position. Another diagnostic called a discogram can help identify which nerves are causing your pain. This information enables us to focus on treating your pain, not merely correcting anatomical issues.
When is Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery the Best Option?
A minimally invasive procedure is an option when conservative treatments have failed AND back pain significantly affects your quality of life. Many of the people who come to Inspired Spine have been living with severe back pain for years and have tried every possible alternative treatment. But their pain still restricts their work, leisure, and even normal activities of everyday life.
Hear our Patient Stories
What to Expect from Inspired Spine Surgery
Inspired Spine has developed advanced minimally invasive “keyhole” techniques that allow us to treat even complex spinal conditions without the drawbacks of traditional open surgery.
Outpatient surgery is the norm
- Depending on your insurance coverage and type of procedure, your surgery may be performed in one of our partner hospitals or an Inspired Spine Ambulatory Surgery Center.
- Procedures as short as 45-minutes reduce surgical risk.
- Tiny incisions minimize scarring and lower the chance of infection to 0%.
- Most patients wake up in the recovery room feeling pain-free for the first time in years.
- 98% of our patients are walking within 2 to 24 hours after the procedure.
For up to 2 weeks after your surgery
- Take pain medication as needed.
- Abstain from driving until you are off all narcotic pain medication. Once off medications, you should be able to safely operate your vehicle again.
- Avoid bending or twisting your spine.
- No lifting more than 8 pounds for the first 2 weeks, then not over 16 pounds after that.
- Stick with “no sweat” activities, like walking.
- After cervical (neck) procedures, you will wear a cervical collar for the first 2-4 weeks whenever you are out of bed.
- For 2-4 weeks after lumbar or thoracic procedures, you will wear a back brace or belt whenever you are out of bed.
- For back fusion procedures, your doctor will recommend that you wear the brace in a car, boat or under increased activity until the fusion is solid, up to a year after surgery.
Expect to recover quickly
- Most patients return to work and normal activities in 4 weeks or less – half the time of open back surgery.
- If you’ve had one of our minimally invasive fusion procedures, you will feel fine long before the bone graft has fully fused and stabilized the vertebrae of your spine—which can take up to a year.
- Expect to have follow-up appointments at 1-month, 4-months and a year after your surgery to check the bone growth and fusion of your spine.
Enjoy your Life!
The purpose of Inspired Spine’s minimally invasive keyhole procedures is to get your life back to normal as quickly and easily as possible. Get back in your boat or on your bicycle. Hit the trail or the gym again. Play with your kids or play a few rounds. We want you to get back to the life you want, pain-free.