15 Feb The Importance of a Good Diet After Spine Surgery
Many patients don’t realize that their post-operative diet has a big impact on the healing process after surgery. The fact is that what you eat can either help or hinder your body’s ability to heal after a spine surgery. In this article we will go over the best foods to eat during your spine surgery recovery period to promote healing.
What to Eat After Surgery
No one food is going to completely heal all of your wounds, but maintaining a healthy diet after your procedure can have significant effects on your body’s healing process. Here are some foods that you should be sure to include in your post-op diet:
- Water. It’s not a food, but water is perhaps the most important thing you should be consuming post-op. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day will keep you hydrated and allow your body to heal as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Fiber. Foods that are high in fiber can help reduce constipation (a common after-effect of surgery). Make sure to eat a lot of berries, beans, and other foods high in fiber.
- Dark Chocolate. While it’s a bad idea to eat a lot of junk food while you recover, eating dark chocolate or one of your favorite treats in moderation can help release endorphins.
What Not to Consume After Surgery
In the weeks and months that follow your surgery, be sure to avoid or significantly cut down on your consumption of all of the following:
- Excess Sugar. Eating junk food will make you generally feel crummy and won’t do anything to aid your body’s natural healing process.
- Alcohol. Drinking alcohol can negatively interact with your post-op pain medications and also decrease your positivity during recovery.
- Smoking. Nicotine has been shown to inhibit spinal bone growth and contribute to back pain.
If you have any questions about what you should and should not consume after your minimally invasive spine procedure, contact your surgeon for recommendations. If you’re looking for a minimally invasive surgeon in your area, check out our Find a Provider tool.